Pages

How to Roast a Whole Pumpkin ♥

How to Roast a Whole Pumpkin
How to bake a whole pumpkin in the oven, the pros and cons both. Plus, new in 2011, why I've stopped roasting pumpkins and instead roast Kabocha Squash (pictured).

~recipe & photo updated 2011~
~more recently updated recipes~

2007 ORIGINAL POST Talk about easy - just throw the pumpkin in the oven, whole, and once it's done roasting, then it slices open like butter - no more finagling with a knife, worry about losing a finger. But then, what to do? (While we're deciding, scoop out the pumpkin seeds to make Spicy Sweet Pumpkin Seeds.)

For awhile now, I've read/heard that "canned pumpkin is as good as fresh". Last year I roasted my first pumpkin -- what, you didn't know that? well, that's because the roasting process went fine but the flesh itself was so blah. And yes, I roasted a sugar pie pumpkin (and not a pumpkin for jack o'lanterns) which by all rights should be good.

This year, the roasting process again went fine and while I didn't do side-by-side comparisons, I can say that the flesh of this roasted pumpkin made one delicious pumpkin pie (later, my friends, later!) and pretty light-orange pancakes until the last bit turned into a pumpkin smoothie. Unfortunately I didn't save enough for Pumpkin Bread Pudding which my friend Ann served at our book club last week and ... yumm.
Keep Reading ->>>

No comments:

Post a Comment