Pages

Raw Beet Sandwiches ♥

Raw Beet Sandwich
Today's open-face sandwich, perfect for summer's best vegetables: Thin slices of beet, tomato and cucumber on good bread. You're gonna have to try this one to believe it, I know I did.

Okay, so this is one recipe I never imagined eating, let alone sharing. (Barring the question whether a simple vegetable sandwich even qualifies as a 'recipe'?) But some times you just go with your gut. Or trust the experience of a cook whose food you have learned to love – love – over the years.

Back in March, my friend Nupur Kittur who writes the food blog One Hot Stove taught a food class for a group of St. Louis food bloggers in one of the fabulous kitchens at Kitchen Conservatory, the top kitchen store and cooking school in St. Louis. "Indian Street Food" was the theme and oh my, what a feast we did eat. (Want to see more? I've posted pictures from our class on Flickr.)

But it was Nupur's simple sandwich that most captured my own attention. (Or maybe it was the beets. You see, if I weren't the Green Bean Casserole Lady, thank you World's Best Green Bean Casserole, I'd be the Beet Queen. How many beet recipes can one person collect? Thirty-something, last count. Oh wait. I guess that means I'm both. Anyway.)

Top good bread with butter, a little hot mustard if you like, then thin slices of beet, tomato and cucumber and yes, you've got a serious sandwich. I saved the idea until now, when gardens everywhere are just beginning to belch forth the summer's bounty, the most tender and luscious beets, cucumbers and tomatoes, worth waiting for, worthy of a sandwich. It's thin, it's cool, it's rustic. It's a keeper.
Keep Reading ->>>

No comments:

Post a Comment