Pages

Tried It Out Thursday: Basil, My New Favorite Herb

I must admit I am a little behind the times when it comes to fresh herbs.  I have grown chives, rosemary and cilantro (which I love!!), but have not expanded my horizons past that.  A few weeks ago I ordered a caprese chicken dish at a restaurant and fell in love with fresh basil.  Oh My!!  I have been missing out.  I checked it out in the produce department at the store and wow...talk about expensive. Then my smart sister in law suggested I buy a plant use what I can until it dies and it would be cheaper.  I found what was called "the living basil plant" in Winco for $2.48 so I purchased it.  It did not look real good, but I had to feed the craving.  I thought I was buying something I could plant in my planter outside, but I was wrong.  You place it in a glass with a small amount of water.
Luckily, it started to perk up.
It no longer looks like this.  I have since used it:
on pizza (YUM!) and I made fresh pesto for the first time.
It was good, but I am still trying to perfect the recipe before I post it.
Let's just say I hope I get much more from this little plant.  I am going to look for one I can actually grow indoors so I can feed the frenzy year round. 
Now this has got me wondering what other fresh herbs am I missing out on??
So what is your favorite fresh herb and recipe for it?
~Tiffanee

No comments:

Post a Comment