Pages

Drizzled Chocolate Trail Mix

Yay!! I am back. I think I just needed a little R&R (and days off work)to get back into the baking groove again.  (Thank goodness. I  was getting a bit worried!!)
 This past weekend my parents and brother came for a visit!(YAY!!) We packed in a lot in just a few days.  One afternoon we went on a little hike.
 It was so beautiful.  We ended up a bit hungry and were wishing we had a little trail mix for the ride home!!
I love trail mix.  The only issue I have is my children seem to pick out the chocolate or just what they like and I am stuck with what is left.  My mom found this recipe in the Family Fun Magazine and it is a perfect solution to this problem.  We decided we just had to try it out and it was so delicious.  Sad to say I don't think the kids got much of it!! You just wouldn't want to take it in hot weather. I love that it is so versatile.  You can add the ingredients that your family likes.

Drizzled Chocolate Trail Mix
adapted from Family Fun Magazine
3 cups nuts (I used almonds, cashews and peanuts)
3/4 cup sunflower seeds (roasted and salted)
1 1/2 cup dried fruit (I found a mixture in the bulk section called fruit salad)
1-2 cups small pretzels
Optional 1/2 cup coconut flakes
Mix together and spread on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
Melt:
 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
in the microwave.  Pour the chocolate over the baking sheet in ribbons. Lightly stir to coat everything.
Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes, just long enough to set the chocolate. Break into pieces and store in a closed container. (I kept most of it in a large baggie.)
YUM!!
*For the fruit the original recipe calls for 1 cup raisins and 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries. 
~Tiffanee
Linked to:

No comments:

Post a Comment