Pages

Fiesta Beef Bowls

I have mentioned before the struggle I have with getting my family to eat brown rice and hubby is the worst.  So I was very excited to try out Uncle Ben's Whole Grain White Rice. 
 I cooked it up and used it in the following recipe.  It has the taste and texture of white rice and the nutritional power of whole grains.  It tasted great and best of all no one noticed the difference. YAY!! 
This is a great dish.  It has great flavor and the kids loved that they could put together their own bowls with the toppings they wanted.  It was a hit!! Hubby wanted a bit more heat, so next time I will get out the hot sauce for him.  The rest of us thought it was perfect!! The only thing missing was the guacamole. 
 Fiesta Beef Bowls
adapted from Taste of Home
1 1/2 pounds boneless beef top round steak
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup salsa
2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans or black beans, rinsed and drained
3 cups uncooked rice (I used Uncle Ben's Whole Grain White Rice)
shredded cheddar cheese
sliced ripe olives
diced onions
guacamole
sour cream

Place round steak in the crock pot. Pour the tomatoes, onion, garlic and seasonings over the steak.  Stir to combine a bit.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the meat is tender.  Stir occasionally.
Remove meat from the slow cooker.  Add beans and salsa to the tomato mixture.  Shred the meat and return it to the crock pot.  Stir to combine.  Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until the beans are heated through.  While the beans are heating cook the rice according to the package directions. In individual bowls, layer rice, meat and bean mixture. 
 Top with cheese, onions, olives, sour cream and guacamole.

*Next time I think I will use black beans instead of pinto.
 As a part of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers Program I received a box of Uncle Ben's Whole Grain Rice to try.   A huge thanks to Foodbuzz and Uncle Ben's.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment