Pages

Grandma's White Bread

As most of you know I have been working on converting my family to wheat bread for awhile and they are now getting used to it, but when the kids begged me for homemade white bread I caved!  Can you say pure comfort food!! This recipe has been in the family for generations.  It brings back great memories of my grandma and I honestly had forgotten how good this bread is. It is easy to make and oh so DELICIOUS!! A HUGE thanks to my Aunt Linda for keeping the recipe going and for sharing it with me!!
Grandma's White Bread
Makes 6 pans or 4 if you half the recipe
2 cups milk
3/4 cup sugar
9 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup butter
6 cups warm water
4 Tablespoons yeast
24 cups flour
Put the milk, sugar, butter and salt in a medium saucepan.  Heat over medium high heat stirring constantly just until the mixture comes to a boil.  Remove from heat and allow it to cool down. 
(This is an important step. Sometimes I put it in the fridge for little while.)  Put the warm water in mixing bowl, add the yeast and a pinch of sugar. Stir and allow to yeast to bubble a bit (about five minutes) Stir in the milk mixture. Add half the flour and mix until smooth.  Keep adding flour until the dough is smooth and elastic.  Raise in a warm place until doubled.  Punch down and let it rest for 15 minutes.  Shape into loaves and place into greased bread pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and hollow sounding when you tap the top.  Remove from oven and lightly butter the tops of each loaf. 
Yum! My family ate one loaf straight out of the oven!!
You can use the dough to make several other things.  I will be sharing some of my ideas a bit later!
We were in Bread Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment