Pages

Fennel-Apple Salad ♥ with Orange-Zest Candied Black Walnuts

Fennel-Apple Salad with Orange-Zest Candied Black Walnuts
Today's winter salad: Chopped fennel and apple served atop orange rounds. This is a decidedly savory fruit salad but is topped by not-to-be-missed candied black walnuts brightened with orange zest. Vegan.

Story goes that Cajun culturist Justin Wilson, when asked what's for supper, will answer with his own question, "Whaddaya got?" and then decide. Do you cook in that inspired, improvisational way? If so, I bow in homage! Me, nearly always I am a "recipe cook" who starts with a list of ingredients, albeit one who then tugs and twists those ingredients to simplify techniques and match my idea of what's good and what's healthy.

Last week, the Missouri Organic Association hosted its annual conference here in St. Louis and three local chefs and three local bloggers teamed up for an Iron Chef-style cookoff. Talk about cooking outside my comfort zone – in public!

But I must say, talk about a total kick, thanks to my collaborator chef Pat Long from Cafe Mosaic in Washington, Missouri. In one hour, the challenge was to somehow start to finish combine three surprise ingredients, tilapia, sunchokes and black walnuts. The salad here is one of two dishes Pat and I really liked, especially the candied black walnuts made special with the addition of orange zest. (Did I say orange zest? Yes I did!) Bummer, the judges didn't agree – except for the candied black walnuts!
Keep Reading ->>>

No comments:

Post a Comment