Pages

Toffee Gooey Butter Cake

I made this last weekend to serve as dessert to my brother and sister in law.  I had to go to work before we ate dessert and I came home to one little piece.  I guess you could say they all liked it  I will admit it was tasty.  It was simple, quick to make and it came from my hero "Paula Deen".   They look dry in the picture but it definitely wasn't.
Toffee Gooey Butter Cake
From Paula Deen
Cake:
1 package yellow cake mix
1 large egg
1/2 cup butter, melted
Filling:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter melted
1 cup chocolate toffee bits
*I thought I bought chocolate toffee bits but it turned out they were plain toffee bits.  So I added 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips to the mix.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 13 x 9 dish with cooking spray.  Mix the cake mix, egg and butter in a mixer and combine well. Pat evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan and set aside. 
Make the filling: In the same bowl you used for the cake, beat the cream cheese at medium speed until it is smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat again on low speed until blended.  Add the butter and mix well.  Fold in the toffee bits with a spatula. Pour filling over the cake mixture and spread it evenly.
Then I decided it needed chocolate chips. (Totally optional)
Bake for 40-50 minutes: the center should be just a little bit gooey.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
YUM!! (Or at least the family thought so!)
My sister in law is going gluten free, so she is working on a gluten free version. I am interested to find out her results!!
~Tiffanee
Linked to:

No comments:

Post a Comment