Pages

Tried It Out Thursday: Conversion Wheat Bread

I have been trying for several years to get my famiy converted to wheat bread.  I love it but the others not so much.  Now that hubby has been getting the groceries he buys white bread and the kids think they are in heaven.  I miss my wheat bread.  So I had time to finally make this wheat bread recipe I found over at Finding Joy in My Kitchen (she has lots of incredible recipes).  I was hooked when I saw her pictures and could not wait to try it out.  YUM!! It was delicious.  The only change I made was to use half white flour just to ease into the conversion .  I plan on adding more wheat as time goes on, till I have them all hooked. Converting them to wheat bread.  It is a perfect recipe!! The only issue I have is that it is so darn good I can't stop eating it!!!
Conversion Wheat Bread
Makes 2 large or 3 medium sized loaves.
4 cups white flour
3-4 cups whole wheat flour
3 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup honey
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
Mix the warm water with the yeast and 1/4 teaspoon sugar.  Allow it to sit together for 2-3 minutes.  Then add honey, salt and olive oil.  Slowly add the flour, until it is dough consistancy (I used 8 cups total).  Knead for about 5 minutes. (I let my mixer knead for me.) Cover and allow the bread to rise for 1 hour.  Punch the dough down and then shape into loaves.  Place into lightly greased pans.
Cover and let them rise for 30 minutes-1 hour. 
Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes until crust is lightly browned and bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
The family ate one loaf right out of the oven before I could get a picture!!
It was a good start to the conversion....
Thanks Snowhite!!
~Tiffanee

No comments:

Post a Comment