Pages

A Good Salad

I know the name of this recipe isn't too exciting but it has a good story behind it.  One day my mom sent my brother and son to get us fast food while we were at a ball game.  She wrote him a list and then told him she didn't know what type of salads they had so to just get her "a good salad".  He ordered and had no issues until he ordered "a good salad" just like that.  This confused both the order taker and my brother. My son was still laughing when they came back with the food.  We continue to laugh about it to this day.  So in honor of this memory and for lack of a better name this is most definitely A GOOD SALAD!!
This is one of those recipes that is so simple I almost feel guilty posting it, but it was so DELICIOUS, that I could not resist!!  I also want a permanent reminder for myself to make it more often.  Yum.  I am already craving it again. I was really hoping for leftovers, but they ate every last bit!!! Next time I will try it using spinach or a variety of lettuce.
The Good Salad
A large bowl of torn mixed salad greens (about 8 cups)
1 large apple, cored and diced
1/2 cup sliced almonds, cashews or other nuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, diced in 1 inch cubes
Combine ingredients in bowl.
Serve with:
2/3 cup oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
Mix well. Shake before serving.

*You can either pour dressing over salad or serve on the side.  I prefer on the side because then the leftovers stay good longer.  That is if you have any leftovers!!
I would really like a better name for this salad. Since I am brain dead I am asking for your help. 
If you can think of a clever name please let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment