Pages

Heavenly Buttermilk Syrup

My mom has been raving about Buttermilk syrup for a little while now.  So one night when my daughter wanted to make breakfast for dinner, I decided that it was the perfect time to try it out. Oh WOW!! It is AMAZING!!  It is truly a "died and gone to heaven moment".  The whole family LOVED it!!  I would recommend making it beforehand, but it was still heavenly!!  It would be great over pancakes, waffles or ice cream.  I am thinking it would be delicious over a warm blondie. 

Heavenly Buttermilk Syrup
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon corn syrup
1 cup buttermilk*
2 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking soda
In a large saucepan mix all ingredients except for the baking soda and bring to a slow boil.  Boil for 1 minute and remove from heat.  Add soda and stir.  Mixture will foam a lot, so make sure you use a large pot. I didn't and made a HUGE mess!! Allow to sit for about five minutes for the foaming to go down.  Serve or pour mixture in a container and refrigerate.  It separates a bit, just stir and reheat when ready to serve. *I have had to makes myself stop eating spoon fulls right out of the fridge.
*I normally do not buy buttermilk, so I did not have any on hand.  Fortunately, I found a substitute that worked perfectly.
1 cup milk
1 Tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice.
Stir together and let sit for 5 minutes before using.
Enjoy this decadent syrup!!

No comments:

Post a Comment